After a picture-perfect Saturday afternoon strolling together through a few art exhibits and stopping for a bite to eat at a prime location for making fun of observing tourists, Sunday was a bit of a bore. The Army had The Husbeast up at Way Too Early to go to an all-day shooting range, and I was left to my own devices for the day. After completing most of the requisite weekend cleaning tasks, I settled in for some almost-quality sewing time. Maybe I have a short attention span, but I find it pretty tedious to do much sewing (or knitting or crochet, for that matter) without some kind of background distraction – and, barring the ability to listen to the latest episode of Prairie Home Companion, it was a bit difficult to stay in front of the machine for too long. I ended up making deals with myself: “You can stop now, but if you do, you’ll have to go change the cat litter/start another load of laundry/vacuum the rugs right away” – and it worked like a charm. By 2:30pm, I had multiple projects to show for my time.

First up is the Reversible Sundress from Sew Baby, with matching bloomers. Cute, isn’t it? Friends we knew in Germany have a daughter just about to turn one – I think it’ll make a charming little gift, just in time for summer! It’s a super easy pattern to whip up, too. I had been planning to cop out on making the buttonholes (because I’ve never been any good at it) and just sew on snaps, with the buttons for show, but just couldn’t bring myself to falsify the function of a button. Still intimidated, my next big plan was to take the dress up to one of the local sewing shops today and ask them to make the buttonholes for me. Then I realized I was being a wimp. After reading multiple tutorials, watching every single video about it available on the innernets, and using up several yards of fabric practicing, I sewed buttonholes. And you know what? They totally weren’t that bad. Take that, buttonholes! You are mine! Bwahahaha!

Ahem. I also stitched up some bunting for my craft room, the basic idea for which can be found here – I modified the pattern for a slightly more elongated flag, but stuck to the production stitching and double-fold bias tape for fast and easy results. I absolutely adore the red contrast to the robin’s egg blue paint on my craft room walls. But, I’m wondering if the brown curtains (in keeping with the original turquoise and brown theme) aren’t going to be quickly outmoded by the encroaching red. Not a problem, these changes, aside from the expense of curtains! One week before classes start up again – perhaps a bit of thrifting is in store!

Advertisements